The largest project in OCTA’s history, the 16-mile I-405 Improvement Project is more than halfway toward completion.
OCTA is constructing the I-405 Improvement Project between SR-73 and I-605, which will add one regular lane in each direction from Euclid Street to I-605, and an additional lane in the center of the freeway that will combine with the existing carpool lanes to form the 405 Express Lanes.
Once completed, the I-405 Improvement Project will allow Orange County to keep pace with expected job, housing and population growth, while providing safe and reliable multimodal travel throughout the region.
- The project is now more than 60 percent complete
- Five bridge replacements are complete and open to traffic
- Four more bridges are expected to be completed by the end of 2021
- Most retaining and sound walls needed for the project will be completed by the end of 2021
- Design and right-of-way possession is substantially complete
OCTA continues to communicate with the public and its stakeholders about the I-405 Improvement Project through efforts including virtual neighborhood meetings, key stakeholder briefings, social media posts, construction email and text alerts and fliers. The project is scheduled for completion in 2023.
More information about the project is available here.