Many Orange County schools are back in session. Whether children walk or ride a bike to school, it is extremely important that they take proper safety precautions. Here are some tips from the National Safety Council.
Walking to school
- Review your family’s walking safety rules and practice walking to school with your child
- Walk on the sidewalk, if one is available; when on a street with no sidewalk, walk facing the traffic
- Before you cross the street, stop and look left, right and left again to see if cars are coming
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing and always cross streets at crosswalks or intersections
- Stay alert and avoid distracted walking
Riding a bicycle to school
- Teach your child the rules of the road and practice riding the bike route to school with your child
- Ride on the right side of the road, with traffic, and in single file
- Come to a complete stop before crossing the street; walk bikes across the street
- Stay alert and avoid distracted riding
- Make sure your child always wears a properly fitted helmet and bright clothing
For more information on how to stay safe and visible when walking or riding, visit OCTA’s OC Active webpages.