Construction on the I-405 Improvement Project, which is improving a 16-mile stretch of the freeway between Costa Mesa and the Orange County border with Los Angeles County, continues to move forward with an anticipated completion date of 2023.
The project is adding one regular lane in each direction between Euclid Street to I-605, and a second lane in each direction in the center of the freeway from SR-73 to I-605 that will combine with the existing carpool lanes to form the 405 Express Lanes.
Recent updates include:
- More than 67 percent of the project is complete
- Six of 18 bridge replacements are complete and open to traffic
- Three additional bridge replacements are anticipated to be complete by the end of the year
- All remaining bridges will be under construction by the end of 2021
- The new Transportation Infrastructure Finance & Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Build America Bureau reset with a lower interest rate, helping save an additional $158 million
For updates and more information on the project, visit here.