As the state of California has reopened and is moving forward to rebuild tourism and promote travel, Pacific Surfliner passengers are encouraged to follow safety measures and any important public health recommendations in place during their trip and at their destination. Per federal law and Amtrak policy, face coverings must still be worn while onboard trains and in stations.
Service was recently expanded for Pacific Surfliner trains and the LOSSAN Agency has planned for the busy summer travel season by making temporary adjustments to manage capacity, including requiring reservations to ride Pacific Surfliner trains on certain holiday weekends and special event dates.
Pacific Surfliner encourages riders to take the appropriate precautions when planning trips this summer and beyond. Recommendations include:
- Plan Ahead: Fridays and Sundays are typically the busiest travel days on the Pacific Surfliner. Midweek and midday times are less crowded. To safely manage capacity during periods when more travelers are anticipated, customers will need a reservation to travel Labor Day Weekend (September 3 – September 7, 2021). More dates may be added where a reservation is required, depending on travel demand throughout the summer. For the latest information, please visit here.
- Take Advantage of SoCal Savings: California Everyday Discounts offer year-round savings on Pacific Surfliner travel for children, students, seniors, riders with disabilities, U.S. military, and veterans. Save 15% or more on Pacific Surfliner trips when booked with a promotion code. Visit here for more details.
- Plan Mindfully: Passengers should familiarize themselves with local regulations and community concerns for each travel destination as well as current travel policies in effect for Pacific Surfliner trains. Many destinations offer abundant outdoor experiences that can provide memorable getaways.
- Travel Contact-Free: Pacific Surfliner offers online and mobile ticketing for a contactless traveler experience. Postponing trips is made easier with electronically saved tickets. Unreserved tickets can be used up to one year from the date on the ticket. Learn more about flexible ticketing policies.
- Be Conscientious: Follow safety procedures in the station and onboard. Face masks must be worn at all times. Passengers are encouraged to use the antibacterial wipes provided onboard to keep surfaces at your seat clean and sanitize or wash hands often.
Visit here for additional information and details to plan your next trip.
The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner passes through Orange County as part of its 351-mile coastal rail route from San Diego to San Luis Obispo and is managed by the LOSSAN Agency. The LOSSAN Agency is managed by OCTA in an agreement with the state.